Liberals treat dogs like people, Conservatives treat people like dogs

Friday, January 14

Friday Fives

1. As "movie award season" approaches, do you watch any awards shows? Which part of the shows do you enjoy the most: the "red carpet" part or the actual awards show?

I don't really watch any of the award shows, they are way too long. For the Oscars, I'll watch the last half hour... that is about it.

2. Do you consider yourself a "movie insider"? Any guesses as to who will win the Academy Awards this year? Any personalfavorites?

Movie insider? Not remotely. It is very very rare we go see a movie in the theatre. It costs $9 a person. So, before we even look at getting snacks... the movie is $18. Instead I wait three months and buy the movie for $15. Favorite actors? Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, William H Macy, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and that guy who played the cop from Magnolia (something Reilly). Basically, I really like actors who can completely disappear into a role. It is rare that I become so engrossed in a good acting role that I forget who the actor is. Forrest Gump embodied that philosophy. Hanks so became that character, it is the greatest acting job in history.

3. "Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King" is up for 11 Academy Awards. What do you think about that? (Eleven Oscars also went to "Titanic" and "Ben Hur" - did you see those movies?)

Well, it deserves it. Those movies were brilliant. I saw every one of them at the theatre, and now own every one of them on DVD. They could be the finest films ever made, in fact.

4. Which actor/actress, in your opinion, should have earned an Oscar but so far hasn't? Is there an actor/actress who *has* received an Oscar but you feel shouldn't have gotten it or wasn't deserving?

Well, Marty Scorsesee really deserves an Oscar... about 6 of them actually. As for who shouldn't have gotten one? That doesn't bother me. However, it truly does seem that Hollywood does the 'make-up Oscar'. As a result, you can expect to finally see Marty Scorsesee win this year for the Aviator. It was a very good movie, but I don't know that it is Oscar worthy.

5. If you could create your own movie award and give it to someone, who would it be and in what category?

Well, I am a fan of what I call the dumb movie genre. Thing Dodgeball, or Anchorman. These are movies that you know will be funny... but not spending $30 a the theatre funny. These are movies that go better with lots of beer. These are the movies that scream 'renter' to me when I see the previews. These were also known as 'Ben Stiller movies... but these days he is in all movies. My favorite great bad movies of all time are Summer School & Gotcha. How bad are they? Summer School just got pressed to DVD 6 months ago, and Gotcha has yet to make it to the DVD market. Now, how great were they? Geesh, look at the casts of those movies: Linda Fiorentino, Anthony Edwards, Mark Harmon, Courtney Thorne Smith, Kirstey Alley... and precious cinmatic dilagoe like this; a conversation between Mark Harmon's character and his dog as they share a bottle of peanup butter:
You what we need, Wondermutt? I mean, besides bread... A woman who appreciates us!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel Robin Williams is deserving of an oscar. The guy is an amazing actor. His problem is when he is not acting he just wont shut the hell up. Clearly not loved when he was a child. Lets also not forget that classic linda fiorentino movie VisionQuest. That still makes me weep.

-jl

5:02 PM  
Blogger Lono of Denver said...

Like you said, there is no question he is a good actor. However, he is so busy overacting at every given moment... I don't know that he is a great actor. Not unlike David Caruso, someone needs to teach him when not to act, or not say a line, or not steal a scene.

Until he can do that, and I don't see it happening ever... he will just be a good actor. Bill Murray was able to shed his image as a clown and now gets respectable work.

I remember Visionquest, Madonna was all over it. I was torn between her and Fiorentino... and Matthew Modine cone to think of it.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home