Liberals treat dogs like people, Conservatives treat people like dogs

Tuesday, May 3

The Trinity

There is a group of movies I have recently seen. After seeing all three within a few months of each other, I have deemed them 'the Trinity'. Sideways, Napolean Dynamite, and Garden State. I say this because all three are really terrific character pieces. What do I mean by character pieces? I guess a movie where really nothing happens at all is generally a character piece (or a shitty movie). It means the storyline no longer dictates the pace... so all you have left are good storytelling and good acting (hopefully). These are movies that most are my friends would say "it's stupid. nothing happens." It is true that when all of these movies came out I didn't even think about spending $10 a person to go see in a theatre. However, sitting at home with some friends and some wine changes everything.

The thing these movies most have is good acting. I mean, great acting. Like, almost as good as Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump acting. Like Russell Crowe in that tobacco movie acting. I guess I am a snob on this. I mean, I appreciate stuff blowing up, but it doesn't drive a movie. Remember when you used to get excited to see William H Macy or Phillip Seymour Hoffman in a role? You knew it would be a strange role, well done, and with no glory. Those are the actors I look for. To be fair, most of these haven't sold out... but they aren't my secret anymore, either. Of course, about third of the time I too settle for a decent Bruckheimer joint to pass the time with a few beers.

tangent alarm > In fact, since I brought up Russell Crowe and 'The Insider', it gives me a chance to talk about what isn't great acting. In a word: Al Pacino. Al Pacino has been playing the exact same character for 30 years. Gene Hackman has a similar tendency, but is a much better actor. I call it the 'Dennis Farina' syndrome. It might be something David Caruso will one day be famous for. Thank god he is too terrible to even make the leap to the big screen. Sweet mother of god, is there a worse actor on the planet the David Caruso? He is such a distraction I haven't watched CSI Miami in two years. Whisking off your sunglasses every 20 seconds is neither character development nor acting! They gave Paulie Shore a movie deal. Tom Green got a movie! Yes, all better actors than Caruso.

Sure, there are some important lines in movie history, and most seem to come from Caddyshack or the Godfather. But how about 'Napolean, you are just jealous because I am training to be a cage fighter... and you know I have been online for like 6 hours chatting with babes" or "No, I am not drinking any fucking merlot! tonight." That is some of the best dialogue since William's 'heed' being discussed in 'So I Married an Axe Murderer'.

So, if you have seen these movies or not... rent 'em. Pick a slow night, get a bunch of wine... and enjoy. Now, I know you aren't using Blockbuster anymore, (seriously, you aren't... are you?). Oh, and Netflix has a new friend feature where you can recommend movies to other Netflixians. So, if you are a Netflixian, drop me a line and I can put stuff in your queue that will deeply, deeply amuse and puzzle you. Normally, I'd just invite you over to watch them at my place... but my dog thinks you're weird.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the thing i dont like about 'indies' is that reviewers give them an automatic star just cause they are the underdog and because it makes them look good to see the insightful brilliance of young filmakers and screenwriters who dont have access to the big hollywood $. This is generally crap. Indies, lets face it, generally suck. Napolion Dynamite and Clerks are two examples. Yes there was a few very subtle hilarious parts but come on.... Sucked. Admit that you like hollywood well financed xtravaganzas more, admit you prefer chain restaurants, admit you are a conformist and that your blue hair and chain belt are not acts of rebelion. Wanna be a rebel? Dont pay your taxes and walk around naked. I seem to digress a bit here.

-jl

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home