Liberals treat dogs like people, Conservatives treat people like dogs

Wednesday, April 25

the gap in pay

On the news last night, they mentioned that women are still being paid less then men in the business world. So, I got all liberal raged when I hear about these sorts of injustices. Then, they gave some telling numbers. They said that after entering the workforce, 20% will leave within ten years to start a family. They also mentioned that the majority of women choose family over work, and men do not.

Well, that changes my feelings on the issue. While I absolutely feel that anyone should receive equal pay for equal work, there are mitigating circumstances. See, an employee is an investment.

After being laid off three times, I am quite confident... and employee is an investment. That being said, if someone said to you during an interview that there is a 1 in 5 chance they would leave the job to start a family... you might not consider them for the job. Problem is, you have to. It is against the law to discriminate... as well it should be. Still, though, the fact remains. Woman are more likely to put their family ahead of business. This is a good thing for America, but it isn't a good thing for businesses.

I always assumed that women made less money than men because of sexism, and false assumptions that women are less then men. We all know that is far from the case. I guess the reason women are paid less, and no one but me is willing to say this out loud, is because work isn't women's #1 priority... family is. Am I making sense?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, you are not making sense. You state that 20% of women leave the workforce to start a family. The 80% who don't must be penalized due to this? There is no guarantee that anyone-man or woman-is going to stay with a company for any length of time. Pay should reflect one's qualifications and performance, not the risk that they may or may not leave 10 years down the road.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Lono of Denver said...

I agree with you. I am not saying I agree with the practice. I am simply saying that I understand it. Big difference. For example, I understand why Wal Mart pays their people nothing, gives them no health insurance, and has farmed out all production to China. I totally understand it. I don't agree with it, though.

See how I did that? See how I was able to get that Wal Mart jab in there right out of left field? That my friends, is what makes me world class!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on your history you are 15% more likely to get cancer, 22% more likely to catch a cold, 18% more likely to have high blodd pressure 25% more likely to have a heart attack and based on your writings 35% more likely to become a psychotic crazed killer. This means we should pay you nothing.

Oh my, how you make George Orwell seem like a prophet.

Pay people for the job they do, design incentives such as merit pay, stock options and bonuses for the job they will do in the future.

Any other way opens the door to discrimination.

-Grainger

8:32 AM  
Blogger Lono of Denver said...

Yes, I know. We already covered that, genius. I did not say I agree with it... just that I could understand it.

Nextly (a word I just made up)... is the name of this site
www.iamopentoyoursuggestions.com ?

no sir, it is not.

is the name of this site
www.iwonderwhatgraingerthinks.com ?

again, NO.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lets review other names for the site...

www.aiamahorsesass.com
www.inflatedego.com
www.ilikefarmanimals.com
www.compensatingforsmallpenis.net

these are just a few suggestions

10:28 AM  
Blogger Lono of Denver said...

or how about

www.narcissist.com

www.delusionsofgranduer.com

www.elitist.com

www.shortfatbald&ugly.com

11:14 AM  
Blogger Woody said...

grainger is being a ninny.

Lono, you're kinda right. But you're not touchy-feely enough for the American audience.

Grainger, you can rest assured that Lono will never be a serial killer. He likes people too much. And he's too smart. And he's happy.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home